Back to Top -->

08 September 2014

Keep It Clean

Well, my first few days of being a college student are done and under my belt. It sure isn't my first rodeo, so other than having to adjust to a different schedule, it hasn't been anything to exciting. If anyone hasn't kept up with my recent life change, I'm going back to school at my local university for a second undergraduate degree in Health, Wellness, and Fitness, with a concentration in Health Promotions.
 
It wasn't until a little over a year ago that I really got into the fitness world. Exercise became an addiction (a healthy kind!) and I got really into how to train my body. I love trying out to fitness 'trends' and finding new ways to challenge my body through exercise. This summer I even pulled up my shoelaces and began taking Crossfit classes! Crossfit has been on my bucket-list for a while now, and I was excited to get started at my local box! There's a lot of controversy about Crossfit and it definitely isn't for everyone. It's essentially Olympic powerlifting, mixed with high-intensity cardio to form WOD's ('workout of the day). Most boxes require a series of introductory classes before you're able to join the big leagues of regular Crossfit classes (more about my Crossfit experience in a later post!)
 
 
What I have found with my new exercise routine and the basis for today's post is the concept of "clean eating". Now, I am not the first person who should tell anyone what they should or shouldn't eat. Nor am I the first person to tell you that I only exclusively "eat clean", because I don't. I have cheat days and occasionally indulge in foods that aren't good for me. But I've found that intense exercise requires a change in what I eat. I feel better when I eat healthy, or when I start the day out with a healthy meal. Crossfitters are notoriously known for following a 'Paleo Diet' (lean meats, zero sugars, and lots of protein), but I for one, enjoy to many other healthy foods to follow it! I've found that just by substituting sugary foods with healthier ones, I perform better; both inside and outside the box.  Check out this article about the benefits of combining Crossfit with a healthy eating plan.
 
Pinterest is my favorite place to find new and healthy recipes. I haven't tried all of these yet, but they are on my list for some of the most delicious and nutritious, not to mention easy:
 
Breakfast:
Oatmeal Breakfast Bars (gluten free and packed with protein!)
 
Lunch:
Quinoa Wraps (vegan and packed with protein!)
 
Dinner:
Chicken Burritos (super quick and easy!)
 
Snacks and Desserts:
 
Stay tuned for an Etsy shop update! Also, I'm streamlining my social media accounts, to make it easier for you to find RouteThree Studios!
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave me a comment: